So - the golden tickets have begun to fly out and the acceptances wing their way back to FlashDogs HQ.
You want to know what to do.
You want to know that we're not making it all up as we go along ?
We ARE making it all up as we go along - that's just the way of FLASH isn't it?
However - I can tell you this:
YOU'LL EARN NOTHING BUT GLORY!
- You won't be paid! This is for the love of Flash and a charitable donation will be optional for the end reader.
- We still need to decide which charity / charities to endorse...you will be consulted.
- We need an example of your best short fiction. Doesn't have to be new. It may have appeared in loads of other places BUT - you must have retained full copyright and be out of any exclusivity window.
- We do not require exclusivity for this piece - copyright remains with you.
- Any accompanying artwork must be your own original stuff and again must not infringe any other copyright. If it belongs to a third party we need to know they're willing to have it in our books.
- Please - no fan fiction or characters that may be subject to trademark and licensing agreements etc!
- You can submit up to 3 short pieces totalling no more than 1500 words or 1 longer piece between 1500 and 5000 words.
- The editors (when we appoint them) can accept the piece as it is, make suggested changes to be negotiated or simply refuse the piece as a valid contribution.
- All pieces should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You're going to ask me about formatting aren't you? I don't know do I? STANDARD in an easily opened doc or docx or whatever - use a converter. I'll get someone more technical to add to this by Friday!
- We need your open submissions by October 17th at the latest. If that's a problem let us know sooner rather than later eh?
- This is intended to showcase the range of styles, skills and interpretations of the same prompt that make the work on our beloved competition sites such thrilling reading.
- You MUST complete a story from the prompt to have your open submission included.
- The prompt will be posted HERE Sunday 28th September - once we've decided what it will be!
- You'll have at least a month and we'll tell you the deadline on Sunday (once we've decided that too!)
- Likely length will be 500 - 1000 words.
- We will require 12 months exclusivity for this piece - something that only appears in our book.
- We'll accept a pinky promise and WILL set the dogs on you if your break it.
We will publish short bios above your stories. A little like a TWITTER bio - be creative but focus on YOU as a WRITER. Keep it short. 4 lines is about right but nobody is counting too closely.
AND FINALLY...DO YOU HAVE A CLUE?
- I (Shakes) am just the ideas man - as you can see from above I'm pretty clueless. I just want to be in an e-book my mum can download and show off to her friends!
- If you can also support with formatting, cover art and the legal gumph that would be awesome!
- If you've suggestions post them in the comments below.
Shake Dog Shakes.